Thursday, January 21, 2010

Snowy Firsts

November 23rd brought my first experience skiing as a local.  Unfortunately David was working, so Emily and I hit the slopes at Solitude - one of the first resorts to open.  We were excited to try out the "Greatest Snow On Earth" for which Utah is known.
Because I had to un-package my new skis and boots and set the bindings, it toke us a while to get started. Finally, we enjoyed a gorgeous, blue sky day getting our "ski legs" back.


Because it was a weekday and before tourist season, we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

As the sun started going behind the mountains, we decided to quit.  It was a successful first day on the slopes with many more to come.

Around this time I also experienced the first big snow of the year in the city.  In Tennessee, .25 inches of snow shut everything down.  I mean everything - schools, churches, colleges.  Because of this, I have never driven a car in snow.  Moving to Utah, I'm going to have to learn.  It takes at least 2 feet to make anyone blink twice here. Even though this was a small amount for most Utahans, it was enough excitement for me to get out of bed at 7:30 am, put on my snow boots, and walk around our neighborhood with the camera.
Here are a few pics around our home...

The park across the street



We are one block from the University of Utah -- this is on their campus...


View from our breakfast nook...

1 comment: